‘Ghoulish’ plans to display the car Princess Diana died in at a museum have been branded ‘sick and disturbing’ by her former bodyguard.
The mangled wreckage of the Mercedes’ could be worth £10 million and the limo company boss who owns it believes it is a piece of history which should be seen by the public.
Bodyguard Ken Wharfe told the Mirror: ‘There seems to be no thought for her family who would find this incredibly upsetting that the sick ghouls would be visiting this disturbing piece of history.’
Owner of Elite Limousines, which provided the Ritz in Paris with cars, Jean-Francois Musa wants the wrecked Mercedes back from British authorities which took the car as part of the inquest into Diana’s 1997 death.
He said: ‘The car is still legally mine, but I haven’t seen it for almost 20 years.
‘People in places like America are very keen on these type of cars. The Mercedes is a piece of history which could be used to recall a terrible tragedy.
‘The British should just hand the car back.’
Mr Musa also brushed off conspiracy theories concerning the death saying it was a ‘terrible accident’ of the kind which happen every day around the world.
Auctioneer John Markey, of H&H Classics, valued the car at ‘one, two, even 10 million pound’ but said it would be a ‘sick sideshow’ to auction the car.
Diana died in the early hours of Sunday, August 31, 1997 and an 18-month French judicial investigation found that the crash was caused by the driver Henri Paul who was drunk and on anti-depressants.
The London inquest ended in 2008 and ruled the Princess had been unlawfully killed, blaming the crash on Mr Paul’s grossly negligent driving and the paparazzi chasing the car.
The Mercedes S280 is currently in a Met Police pound having been there since 2005.